Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The Simplest Things

I've written a lot about pursuing my dream--the Comrades run.

I've structured my thinking about helping others pursue their dreams--getting jobs and getting back into the swing of life, getting suits from Sharp Dressed Man.

I want to help the organization however I can.  I'm still trying to figure out how to do that other than helping them raise more money, get more suits, and get more people involved.

That said, I do also have career dreams.  I don't want to end my career ladder at Vice Dean.  I'm not sure where I will end up, but I do like having a vision, sharing my vision, and making people feel like they can count on me to facilitate them taking opportunities and running with them.  To achieve for themselves.  To achieve for the organization.  To benefit all who are in or served by the organization.

But along the way, I don't want to forget anyone.  Today, I had two really simple incidents that made me focus on never forgetting all of those around me--whether they are one level down on the organizational chart or on a completely different organizational chart--everyone matters.

In a lunch meeting welcome a new member of my leadership team, a long-time member of my team told me that several people have asked her if I am a real hippy.  You wouldn't think that from my current hair cut, but you may think it from my whole-calf tattoo.  People apparently ask because of how I come across as kind and considerate and having played electric bass in my church's worship band.  The person with whom I work tells people I couldn't be a hippy as I never smoked pot.  (Truth.)  But it is an interesting impression. And it speaks to the impression I have cultivated of being someone who truly cares about those I work with.  (In the same way I care about those I run with and those who benefit from any activity I'm in.)

This was after, not fifteen minutes earlier, when I was leaving a meeting, I saw a fellow employee from a different part of the organization who was trying to open a door that was a push out door that needed to be activated to open but had her hands full.  She looked like she was having a tough time. S I moved to open the door. In the end, she just about had it, but I did help her at least a little.  She gave what sounded like a heartfelt thanks.  I don't deserve much credit for that.  And I'd like to think that anyone would have done it.  But there is something to be said for not being so focused on just moving ahead--this was off to the side of where I was going.  There is something to be said for taking a few seconds out to redirect.  And there is something to be said for just giving a nice hello to someone who seemed a little flustered when she did come through the door.

It is events like the second that facilitate the impression that I give in the first.  It is that heart felt sense of "we are all in this together" that leads me to think that anyone can make the world a better place.  It leads me to think that even making the world a better place for one person a day (although hopefully more) makes the investment of time and effort all worth while.  And it makes me realize how lucky I am to have people around me who make me want to do that and who will keep me focused and hopefully keep me real even if I do at some point move to another level in the organization I'm in now or some other organization later.

I would not be where I am without the greatness around me--that inspires me to live to my fullest, do for others to the fullest, and be the me I was put here to be.

Thus I run strong.  I bake a lot.  I write a lot.  I share a lot.  And I hope it makes a difference to those around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment